Monday 2 January 2012

New year beginnings

  

Happy New Year to one and all. I had a great 4 days in London working for Crisis, looking after the feet of the many homeless people who are given shelter for the Christmas week. My daughter came to assist for 2 of those days, and then I returned for a further 2 days and nights as they were a little short of podiatry volunteers. You come home with a great sense of just how fortunate you are - I can do what I want when I want to, and have everything I neeed. 



I stayed at the Premier Inn on Tower Bridge Rd, being a Londoner myself it is great to go back occasionally, the skyline along the Thames is fascinating with a mix of old and very new!

I came home for the New Year, and decided to do a hand pieced project so that I could sit and catch up with the good TV that I missed over the holidays. I found this book in a charity store a while ago-- Patterns for patchwork quilts and cushions by Suzy Ives, published in 1977.





The pictures are all hand drawn, no photos, but the templates are provided . I photocopied the templates and cut them out . I decided to use a set of Amy Butler fabrics from her Love collection. After 3 episodes of Coronation Street, 3 episodes of Great Expectations, 1 episode of Living with the Amish, and part Of Sherlock Holmes, I had finished the cushion top . I am very happy with the result as my first project of the New Year, and will make another in different fabrics, probably with smaller prints. 





That done, I was sooooo pleased to see the sun this morning ! I have been on a brisk walk to the clifftops and blown the cobwebs away! The sea was rough but perfect for the 3 hardy kite surfers that frequent that patch.


 And finally here's one I made earlier- I think I added the last few rows on New years day, and it certainly came in handy on the beach today !It was made from Noro wool purchased at the Knitting and Stiching Show at Ali Pali. I can't wait to go to Japan in March to see my son- little does he know he is going to take me to fabric and wool shops!!



                                                             Thats all for now folks!

1 comment: